A Brief History of The Machickanee Players

In 1983, a group of Oconto residents had a dream of brining live theater to the area---and The Machickanee Players came to be.  In the eginning, we had no venue to callour own; we were more of a travling show. This did not hold us back, however.  Our first production. M*A*S*H, was performed to sold-out audiences and our 1984-1985 season featured our first dinner-theater production when "Pizza Suite" was performed at the Sandalwood Country Club in Abrams.

It wasn't until the 1987-88 season that we acquired our current home -- The Park Avenue Playhouse.  Orignally the St. Mark's Episcoopal Church hall, the Playhouse was built in 1866 and is currently on the National and State Regiters of Historic Buildings.  However, the old building lacked proper isulation so winter plays continued to be held at the hght shool's John B. LeMay Auditorium until the 1995 season.

Although our state, and ou group, are both small, we are not afaraid to take on new challenges. Inour 1997-98 season, attenace records were set when "nunsense" became our first musical performed at Oconto High School due to the size of the cast. There were several other musicals in the seasons to follow, as well as evenings of one-act plays, children's productions, and more than a half dozen original plays written and directed by the local playwright Kathy Campshure.

We offer both dinner and non-dinner productions.  For the past few seasons, we have also added two dessert shows to eachproduction. Patrons who attend these Sunday matinees are treated to award-winning pies made by OJ's Midtown Restaurante, which is located in Gillett.